I think this is the third time I’ve made these, and they still taste great. I’m not sure I could get sick of them (I’ve made them two times this week).
These scrolls use a basic scone recipe. This picture shows one batch, but I made two today. And by the time I took the picture, I’d already eaten four!
So, here’s the recipe, based on a scone recipe I have (which I also made this week).
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 60 grams of butter
- 3/4 cups of milk
- Whatever you want to put inside
- Preheat oven to 230C (446F)
- Pour flour and salt into mixing bowl
- Rub in butter
- Add milk
- Turn out dough to a floured board and knead lightly
- Cut dough in half (to make them smaller, and to more)
- Roll out to a thin rectangle
- Spread insides on top. In my case, it was the vegemite and cheese, but it could be anything you’d like.
- Roll the dough lengthways and cut it into however many scrolls as you like. I did six.
- Sit them on their end, then press them semi-flat
- Place on tray and bake for 10 minutes
I would suggest to make a double batch – as you can see from the picture, one doesn’t really seem like enough.
Maybe I’ll make a video next time I make them.
If you do use this method, please tell me how it works out for you. Pictures, too! 🙂